Friday, October 16, 2009

Edible World

I think that the Garden of Eden was like Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. We just finished reading Charlie and The Chocolate Factory to our boys. I think about the first large room they enter -- everything was edible. Willy Wonka urged them to try a blade of grass, then a buttercup. The children ate flowers and trees; even the river was chocolate.
I imagine Adam and Eve walking through the garden. First Adam plucks a peach off a leafy green branch and hands it to Eve. The Eve bends down and tears a piece of a beet green and munches on that. She pulls again and the whole plant comes up in her hand. Then she tries the beet. "Adam this is good too!" she says as she hands some to Adam. They nibble things on the trees, things on the ground, things under the ground. Food was everywhere. The whole garden was edible (well, almost).
I think this parallel is especially obvious to me lately because I feel like we are just eating plants. We have been trying to eat more nutrient dense foods since reading a nutrition book a friend lent us. We really enjoy it -- except for the greens. I have a hard time with them. They taste like grass or weeds smell. This week I was out clipping and pulling weeds in the flower bed and I thought it smelled just like the greens I ate for supper. My husbands jokes at dinner that it's time to graze. I guess, according to the book, it's better to be a cow, than eat one.

1 comment:

  1. ha :) i guess the weeds your pulling would be cheaper than buying greens at the grocery! you should try it!

    oh, and, we (the gerths and the noorths) should all graze together sometime before you leave on your trip! we love you!

    ReplyDelete