Wednesday, March 2, 2011

His Name is John

We had been giving money to Gospel for Asia, and were very interested in their native missionary program; but were hesitant to actually support a missionary because our finances are so uncertain. A native missionary is someone who is working full-time within unreached areas of his or her own culture or one very similar. Because they already know the customs and dialect of the people, they can begin working with people immediately and will not be considered an outsider. Also they can be accepted into areas where Westerners are typically not allowed to share the Gospel. I think it also helps people to know that God is not the foreigners' God, but also the God of their people.

I started to think what we could give up each month so that we could support a missionary. Then I thought, if I put aside the same amount each month that it is costing me for dental, I can give that to missions instead.
The dentist said I need to come every three months to keep the problems with my teeth under control. Is it really necessary? I don't know, but I prayed to God and said that we would give that money to missions, if He would protect my teeth. I asked my hygienist if i could try a six month schedule instead and we did. At my checkup she said my teeth were looking fine.

So now we support a national missionary. His name is John. I liked the name because I can actually pronounce it. When he became a Christian, his Hindu family kicked him out of home and he faced severe opposition. Through the urging of a pastor in his life, he eventually went on to Bible school and is now serving the Lord as a pastor and evangelist in India with his wife and three children.

No comments:

Post a Comment