Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Why work?

As we sat down in the morning to start the school day, I asked my boys, "Why do we work?"
They thought I meant work like Dad does and right away one answered, "To make money."
"What about the work you do in the house -- Why do we do it?" I asked again.
The youngest piped up, "Because it gets dirty!" Very true! With small children in a small house things get cluttered, messy and dirty faster than I can believe at times. So I asked them, "What do we learn from working?" I was a little surprised at their answers, although I would agree.
One said, "Because it teaches us not to complain."
Another said, "It teaches us to work and not be lazy."
Then I prompted them a little, "Does it teach you to obey your parents? Does it show you that we are all part of a family?" After I said it, of course they agreed with me.
Then I asked, "What does school teach you?" They listed the subjects we have been studying. (Math, Spelling, Reading, Writing)
I thought schoolwork could teach them the same things as housework, so I tried to draw the connection for them. "Yes, you learn reading, writing and math, but do you think school also teaches you how not to complain even when it's hard? Does it teach you to be diligent, not lazy? Does it give you lots of practice obeying?"
They agreed that it did. I was glad, because if schoolwork can teach the same character qualities as housework then I could maybe limit the boys' housework and still develop their character. I wondered though if homeschooling made children feel like they belonged, if it made them see they are an important part of the family.
When I asked, Zac responded, "Yes, because we are all down in the basement working together."
They do still need to learn to manage a house, but maybe we can work on that at a slower pace because schoolwork seems to accomplish several of the same purposes.
That being said, there are still many benefits to teaching a child to work around the home that I don't want to take from them. First of all, I need them. I am not Super Woman. If there is only one of me cleaning in comparison to four of them messing, I will be buried in laundry, toys and dirt for most of my life. Helping Mom will teach them to help a future wife, to look around at other people's responsibilities and try to lighten the load. (I hope.) Also, I do not want my boys to be one of those stories of college guys who just learned how to do laundry. It may be funny in college, but not in the real world. I want my boys to realize the work it takes and be able to keep a house tidy, to cook healthy, delicious meals, to plan and stay within a budget, to repair vehicles and things around the home. My husband is so capable and I am grateful. Training children is a gift to their future spouses. I am getting long-winded, but one more thing. Teaching children to work brings a sense of accomplishment and joy as they finish a task, and hear "Well done."

Now what should a 3 year old be learning?

No comments:

Post a Comment