Tuesday, June 9, 2009

God is Love When it Hurts

I have read the story of John the Baptist many times. I have read about his miraculous birth, his life of preaching, his strange diet, his time in prison, and how he was eventually beheaded. But you know how you can read over something many times without noticing it and then one day it just stands out like a black eye. I was reading the story of when he was in prison and asked his disciples to go and ask Jesus if He was the Messiah or should we be waiting for another. It's incredibly strange really. John was the forerunner for Jesus. He preached the Kingdom. He baptized Jesus. He saw the Holy Spirit descend like a dove. He heard the voice from Heaven. He was the one who said, "He [Jesus] must increase and I must decrease." They were cousins. They probably grew up together. He knew all about Jesus. So why ask if He was the Christ? I wonder if John was looking around him and it just didn't make sense. John was in prison. John was trapped. He didn't think that was part of the plan. What had happened? John believed. He knew in his heart that Jesus was the Savior, but I wonder if his emotions and circumstances were trying to overtake his faith. I have been there.
Seeing as I'm falling asleep I guess this is the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment