Monday, August 24, 2009

The Egg or the Chicken

I have wondered which came first -- the actual tax or the definition. Did people realize that tax meant "to lay a burden on; make serious demands on" but had no idea that tax would also be money given to the government? They would say, "I taxed my wagon yesterday. I thought it might break on the way into town, but we made it." But they wouldn't say, "I paid my taxes." Maybe they called it tribute. Then eventually people began to see tribute as such a burden, they began to call it a "tax" as they had taxed their wagon or oxen.
Or was it the other way around? Tax was always the money given to a government and someone said, "Hey, your donkey pulling that cart looks like I feel when I pay my taxes, why do you 'tax' him so much?" They realized they just came up with a new way to use the word "tax" and thought themselves very witty.
Just this morning I was reading about when Jesus says to give to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's. Does Caesar think he owns it all? I suppose his picture is on it all. Is Jesus saying that we shouldn't be bothered by taxes? Or that he really doesn't need money to accomplish His work or provide for His children? Or was that just His answer to men who were trying to trap Him?
God does talk often of injustice and robbing the poor. Some would argue that taxes aren't robbing or injustice.
I am reminded of an old movie of Robin Hood that my mom owned. The sheriff comes to take more taxes and the conversation goes something like this.
"I don't have the tax," the farmer says.
"Sell your chickens!" answers the tax collector.
The farmer replies, "I sold my chickens to pay for the feather tax. I sold my
eggs to pay for the barn tax. I sold my barn to pay for the house tax. I sold my
furniture to pay for the property tax. I have nothing left."
"To jail then!" responds the tax collector.

I find it humorous that the Pharisees complained that Jesus was a friend of "tax collectors and sinners", or that if a brother refuses to be reconciled he becomes like a "heathen or a tax collector". I guess people have never liked taxes.

All that said, Jesus did receive a humble tax collectors' prayer instead of a prideful Pharisee, a religious leader. He was a friend to tax collectors. He called them for service, and ate at their homes.
Pray for our government.

No comments:

Post a Comment