Saturday, September 5, 2009

Take Heart

I was looking for an answer to a curriculum question on the Covenant Home website. As I was browsing through the message board I came across a question from a lady who named herself "Overwhelmed Mom". Her question is something I have pondered often.

She asked, "How do you balance activities and outside demands without neglecting school obligations? Sometimes the demands/activities are for a very good cause, like helping others. I feel like I am constantly having to choose between a "good work" and remaining focused so as to not get behind in school. Not everyone understands how much time it takes to do a thorough job in schooling our children. Any wisdom in this area would be greatly appreciated!"

I thought the reply she received was so encouraging to moms who are home trying to educate, train and disciple their children, I posted a portion of it below.


"Your question is one I have thought long and hard about over the past 19 years. As part of discipling my children, I desire greatly that they learn to serve and minister to others. After all, Jesus did say that He came not to be served, but to serve, and we are also told in Scripture that knowledge passes away, but love lasts forever. So I have thought much about what it means to be a very large family, be responsible for academically training my children, and serve others. Here are my thoughts on the issue:
>
> As women, we are told in Titus that we need to be managers of our homes and lovers of our husbands and children. When you are a mother of many children, that directive is a full time job. To me, loving my family needs to look like I Cor 13 type of love: love is patient, kind, gentle, not easily provoked,etc. Maybe it's just me, but I really struggle with that kind of love to those nearest and dearest to my heart when I am harried and overwhelmed with commitments (even great ones) outside my home. This is a beautiful season of our lives that will pass so quickly. I can speak from experience; it seemed like yesterday that Erika was a toddler. Someday we will have time to have extra ministries in service to others, but right now, our energy needs to be serving those at home. Now, there are ways that we can serve others as the Holy Spirit leads such as a casserole to a new mother, a homemade plate of cookies/visit to shut in or elderly, etc, but those are ministries you can do with your children. I think even the church in our culture puts a great deal of pressure on women to be busy with things outside the home. You need to realize that other people will not understand. There is no way that others know the time/energy demands on your day from sun-up to sundown and during the night unless they are in your shoes. But Jesus does, and He sees your heart, He hears the prayer you pray for others when you don't have the time to actually "do something", He knows your fatigue, and He understands. And someday He will say to you, "Well done, thou faithful servant." And as we train our children to serve each other in the home, they will take that server's spirit out of the home as teenagers. My husband often reminds me when I completely choose to forget everything I have just shared with you, that my teen children are now serving in my place. You will be there someday."
>
Post by Heidi on Covenant Home Message Board

1 comment:

  1. How we long to hear " well done, my good and faithful servant." but how long and hard the journey can be.

    ReplyDelete