Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Look, It's a Book

I seem to always have trouble with titles. This title idea is my husband's idea. Perhaps it is a little cheesy, but since I am at a loss, and his other ideas were "The Library Fairy" and "Books, Who Needs Them?", I decided it would work fine.
I love the library! I get so excited looking through the shelves of books -- wondering what information and stories they tell. It's like I'm on a treasure quest and the books are like the jewels. I must admit the children's section lures me the most. Adult books just have too many words and not enough pictures. Who can resist a page of bright photos or creative drawings? It's great to see real pictures from a person's life when reading through a biography. I learn so much from reading to my boys. I remember more about George Washington and the Revolutionary War from teaching grade school history than I do from any college history class. And tonight I found books on Paul Revere and King George to supplement our history lessons. The library is a great resource.
Living near Mt. Hood sparked the boys' interest in mountains, so we started talking about Mt. Everest and checked out some books that I am so eager to read. Already I've learned things I didn't know about the climbers of Mt. Everest. In Oregon we could also see Mt. St.Helens on the drive into town. I tried to squeeze a little admiration out of the boys and told them that I climbed that mountain. They weren't too impressed with my climb, but they did want to find a book about Mt. St.Helens too. We chose a book about volcanoes and Shiloh says he can't wait to read it.
I've learned about Super Hornets and hummers, Vincent Van Gogh and Annie Oakley. The TITANIC sinking has come alive as we read about the people and looked through many pictures. I've been mystified along with the audience as we read about The Great Houdini.
Then there are the stories. Returning from the library we made hot chocolate and curled up under blankets around the twinkling Christmas tree. What a special time just being together and reading Christmas stories.
I like the funny stories too -- like Grandpa's Lost Teeth and Duck for President.
We've spent hours as a family reading.
Books are a gift -- full of wonder, discovery, and adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment