Saturday, December 19, 2009

Mt.Hood Climbers

I have been following the news story of the three climbers on Mt. Hood. How could I not? For the past month I have lived with Mt.Hood in my backyard. One climber's body had been found the other two were missing. Search and rescue attempts began, but were limited because of avalanche danger. I stared up at the mountain's icy white cliffs and canyons and ridges. So beautiful and so deadly. One night I lay in my bed warm under blankets with a hot fire crackling in the wood stove, I kept thinking about how those two missing climbers were possibly fighting to survive in the falling snow. How could I be so warm and comfortable and they be so cold and lost. I prayed for them to be found. I prayed for them to be alive.
Days have gone by and still no sign of them. Search and rescue efforts have been halted. The sinking feeling that a person tries to push back, the truth that you try to ignore and claim is false, starts settling securely. They are gone. And to not even know how they died or where they are -- where is the closure.
While searching for more information on the missing climbers I came across a blog written by a family member of a climber that had died on Mt. Hood three years ago. The story had been so similar. Three climbers, one body found, two missing still, to this day. The blogger wrote of intense pain, probing, honest questions, and yet a faith in a God who is loving and Who's way is perfect. What troubles me though is in one of the comments written in response to the post, God was referred to as "characteristically silent" and prayer is "doing nothing, thinking you are helping someone."
This bothers me, not because I am offended that anyone would say that about God. (Although it was insensitive to the one who lost a brother.) But it bothers me because I know God knows where those climbers are. I know He see the pain of those waiting for any good news. And what is more, I know He is love. Those climbers were believers in Jesus the newspaper said, and I know God loves them -- they are His children. Why does He seem so silent?
I remember the Israelites who for years were oppressed by their cruel taskmasters in Egypt. Hundreds of years if I remember correctly. And they cried and groaned and God was silent.
But He says, "I have surely seen the oppression of My people who are in Egypt...I know their sorrows...I have remembered my covenant...I will rescue you...I will redeem you." And He did.
How can I comprehend the mind, the plans, and yes, the timing of One Who sees from beginning to end and beyond? So perhaps God is not silent? Perhaps it is just I who at times does not like the sound of His voice?
There are safe, Shari. They are rescued. They are in Heaven with me.
I can say that I am looking forward to sitting down with them and hearing the rest of the story when we are together with Jesus in Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment