Sunday, July 4, 2010

Valuable Life

We have very recently begun reading through Humility: True Greatness by C.J. Mahaney at our church. Although the book has been insightful and I am looking forward to reading more, it was a line from the forward that really stood out to me.
Joshua Harris, author of the forward, tells how C.J. Mahaney, trained and mentored him as a young man and then passed on his pastorate to him. He is using this as an example of humility in Mahaney's life -- to see someone that God can use and invest in that life and instead of claiming glory for yourself, prepare that person for ministry -- even your own ministry. Harris goes on to say that this example of humility shown to him has inspired him to also invest in the life of another.
He writes,
Though I've just begun my ministry at Covenant Life, C.J.'s example has inspired me to look ahead to when I can make the same handoff to the next leader of our church. Who knows? That ten-year-old boy running down the church hallway might one day be sitting behind my desk. And when that day comes, I hope I'll have the same humility of heart that C.J. has shown me.

I love how he looks at a young child as the possible future leader of a church. I love to know that there are men in the world that see potential in young boys, that see a life that God can use, that see more than noise and dirt.
Obviously not all boys will grow up to be pastors, but each boy can grow up to be a leader in righteousness, a leader in humility, a leader in love. We are shaping the minds and hearts of a generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment