Saturday, July 4, 2009

The Camping Trip -- Part 4

Well we didn't run out of gas -- just a dead battery. Eric jumped it in the rain.
My mom had packed most of the food in the coolers in the back of our pickup, just in case we decided to stay somewhere on the way home. Eric had made a spot in the front seat for me. He just had two boys share one seat belt. I was glad. I was a little traumatized by the earlier ride. The sinking feeling every time I got in the truck slowly disappeared.
It was still cold and rainy, but when we stopped on the other side of the Mackinac Bridge it was just cold. Still cloudy though, but we thought we'd chance it and find a place to camp. This was rather spur of the moment, so although we did have the food from my mom, we didn't have a campsite or any pans to cook our food.
While the boys played in the park we had stopped at, we searched the internet using Eric's phone for a campground. I thought we could head to Sleeping Bear Dunes area, but I didn't realize that was still three hours away.
We decided to go anyway, because we knew there were things in the area that would be fun to do.
Three hours somehow turned into many more. We did see the sun once while we were driving.
It was late when we arrived. We were hungry and tired. Earlier we had searched for the crackers my sister said she had put in our truck. Eric kept saying they just weren't in there. I kept insisting they must be somewhere -- my sister said she put them in. We never did find the crackers.
They had walk-in sites available. If you are not familiar with walk-in sites, it's pretty easy to figure out -- it means you walk in! No vehicles. Our site was 300 yards through the woods up and down the hills. 300 yards! That's 3 football fields!
We carried the food, the cooler, the tent, suitcases, pillows, the sleeping bags, the camp chairs, even Caden's playpen -- everything. Yes, we are crazy.
We roasted hot dogs that night. The wood wasn't burning well, so we finally tired of smoke and burning eyes, and sought warmth in our sleeping bags instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment