Friday, July 24, 2009

Musings on "Lament" -- Last One

I hate to think of my son's body rotting in his casket. I use to treat graves as sacred, maybe I still should; I would walk around people's plots reading the headstones, but in a sense it has become common. I do not mind if someone walks over my son's grave. It is just grass. It is just a white box. It is not him. And yet it is him. It's not much, but it's what I have. Rotting.

Truly terrible is the mystery of death.
I lament at the sight of the beauty
created for us in the image of God
which lies now in the grave
without shape, without glory, without consideration.
-- John of Damascus

But...

We have seen a great mystery:
We shall all be changed.
We shall be raised in Christ
as we were buried in Christ.
Death is swallowed up in victory.
-- I Cor. 15

Behold, I am making all things new.
I am the Alpha and the Omega,
the beginning and the end.
-- Revelation 21

(Excerpts taken from Requiem: Eric Wolterstorff in Memoriam)

No comments:

Post a Comment